Home » Ask the Therapist » Relationships » Sexuality » Could a 36-Year-Old Person Stay Mentally Normal without Sex?

Could a 36-Year-Old Person Stay Mentally Normal without Sex?

I would like take your advice and opinion on my new relationship with a friend who is 36 years old. He is not married and never got into a relationship with any other girl. He follows different religion that does not allow sexual relations except after marriage. He seems to me a normal person but I am not sure if this long period without sex would have kept him in normal mental health? or there should be a psychological disorder?

Would it be okay for me to proceed with him? I need your advice. Thank you.

A.

Thank you for thinking about us and asking your question. While there is too little information to comment on his mental health based on a religious decision, I think it is fair to say that people often use religious doctrines to mask unhealthy or undeveloped psychological issues. Under the guise of a religious doctrine, something unhealthy becomes a virtue. While it would not be possible for me to know if that is happening here, I will encourage you to trust yourself to make that assessment. It would be rare that a religious practice or belief could adequately hide other issues. Take it slow and see how integrated his life, behavior and beliefs are with his religion. Then you will know more about who he is. Give yourself some time.