Home » Always Have Multiple Thoughts Running through My Mind Simultaneously

Always Have Multiple Thoughts Running through My Mind Simultaneously

In my head I always have at least two trains of thoughts running at the same time. I used to think this was normal and that everyone thought like that but I recently learned when talking to some friends that is not the case. The best way I can think of to describe it is that I’m Listing to Audio-books on separate radios each reading a different story all at the same time. I have had many Psych problems in the past resulting in  many different Diagnosis but I am wondering if I were to go talk to a Doctor and tell them this if this could be the symptom of any disorders or may have been a co-factor in all of my different issues to date. I feel I must specify that I do not think this is the same as hearing voices because although I can only control one thought at a time while the others run I do not perceive them as outside sources. I also often argue with the thoughts and it can turn into what feels like a screaming match inside my skull. (age 18, from US)

A.

This is a difficult question to answer without more information about your past psychological problems and symptoms. On one hand, it could simply be that you have a very active mind and could learn to better harness your thoughts through cognitive therapy, mindfulness and meditation. However, it could also be a sign of a more serious problem such as Dissociative Identity Disorder or a psychotic disorder. Either way, I feel like it’s a good idea to seek professional help once again, or to speak to your current provider in depth about the issue if you already have one.