Home » Disorders » OCD » Fear of Demons

Fear of Demons

I developed a fear of demons around a year ago which I thought was just a silly irrational fear. But then I started getting scared that I might be possessed and I can’t go anywhere alone at night unless I’m singing a hymn. Also, my mind makes up these rules about how to protect myself like running on the stairs so I don’t get pushed and covering my face when I sleep so they can’t see me. Should I be concerned?

Fear of Demons

A.

If your fear is increasing and you find yourself thinking about it more and more, then you should be concerned. You should be concerned any time you believe that something might be negatively impacting your life.

The best way to combat your fear is to not allow yourself to believe in things that are irrational and illogical. You should also try your best not to respond to your fear. For instance, you stated that you cannot go anywhere alone at night unless you’re singing a hymn. By singing the hymn, you are reinforcing your fear. Each time you sing the hymn, and you experience a reduction in fear, you are in essence justifying the need for the hymn and thereby increasing your dependence on the hymn for reducing your fear.

How should you remedy this? Ideally, you should stop singing the hymn. Yes, at first you will be frightened. You will feel an overwhelming urge to sing the hymn, but if you endure the anxiety, refuse to engage in the reinforcing behavior (i.e. the hymn), your heightened state of anxiety will soon diminish and nothing bad will have happened to you. Doing this repeatedly will eventually extinguish your fear of demons.

Dealing with phobias can be difficult. Consider consulting a mental health professional. He or she could help you address your fears and teach you a healthy and more appropriate response to anxiety. Please take care.

Fear of Demons