Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Is This Psychosis?

Is This Psychosis?

Teenager here. I keep thinking people with glasses can feel my presence coming, even if I am walking behind them. I keep thinking they can feel my thoughts (especially when it is silent, and when they are staring)and I held on to this belief for many years, making me very uncomfortable. I have seen a psychologist, but she said I am might not have it? What should I do?

Is This Psychosis?

A.

What you may be describing is a delusion. A delusion is when a person believes something that is implausible or clearly untrue.

Alternatively, one might also characterize your thoughts as irrational. Irrational because you have not offered any facts or evidence to support your beliefs. Many people have irrational thoughts, but it does not necessarily mean they are psychotic. People with psychosis are often plagued with so many irrational thoughts that they lose track of reality. Their symptoms inhibit their ability to function in the world.

People with psychosis often experience multiple symptoms such as hearing voices, seeing things that are not there, experiencing confused thinking patterns, rapid speech, among others. In the absence of those other type of symptoms, psychosis would seem unlikely. Your psychologist would be in the best position to determine whether or not your developing psychosis.

It’s always good practice to challenge your beliefs. Ask yourself this question: What evidence do you have to support your beliefs? It’s illogical to believe in things for which there’s no evidence.

It’s good that you are in contact with mental health professionals. They can assist you in challenging your beliefs to ensure that they are in line with reality. Medication might be a necessary addition to counseling. Please take care.

Is This Psychosis?