Home » Parenting » Child Having Weird Behavior

Child Having Weird Behavior

From the U.S.: Child (15) has urges to bite hand and twiddle fingers rapidly. Also lacks social communication skills towards other people aside from family. She’s not good at listening likes to do things and figure things out for herself. Also likes to jump and squeeze eyes and fists when excited. She likes to play though she is fifteen.

She is very interested in trains and elevator buttons. She gets really excited if she sees an elevator and she loves the buttons she doesn’t touch, but she looks and shakes in excitement she does like to touch the buttons though. She doesn’t socialize much at school she prefers to be alone and she is sensitive to sound and touch. She doesn’t like liquid soap and she hates loud sounds. She obsesses over trains and buttons and that’s usually all she cares to Talk about when she does have a conversation.

She can’t communicate very well she likes to talk loud and doesn’t allow people to get a word in when she does have conversations. Though she cannot comprehend verbal directions and gets irritated when she cannot understand. Is this some kind of disorder?

Child Having Weird Behavior

A.

I’m very glad you wrote. I’m very concerned that the pediatrician or school hasn’t advised her parents to get this child assessed. I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a short letter, of course. But I can tell you that what you are reporting suggests that the child may have some level of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). If that is the case, she needs a thorough evaluation and treatment as soon as possible. The earlier treatment begins, the more likely it is to be successful.

It’s not at all unusual for kids with ASD to have a narrow, intense interest in which they are expert, to be socially uncomfortable, and to be unusually hypersensitive to sensory stimuli. Please remember that the intellectual capacity of people on the spectrum varies widely, from intellectual disability to exceptional intelligence. Sometimes the level of intelligence is masked by anxiety and coping behaviors.

You can find more information on the Autism Speaks website: www.autismspeaks.org

Child Having Weird Behavior