Home » Parenting » My Parents Aren’t Doing the Right Thing for Me

My Parents Aren’t Doing the Right Thing for Me

I have had school anxiety for my whole life, but in the past year it has escalated to a point where I can no longer attend. I’ve done medication, therapy, and now I’m in an outpatient program in replacement of school (for a few weeks.) I’ve been very verbal with my parents about how school makes me feel depressed, anxious, and suicidal. They don’t take me seriously and now my education is at risk. I’ve mentioned online school to them for the past two months and I’ve done all of the research, talked to my school about it and my psychiatrist. My psychiatrist even recommended it to me. I don’t have anxiety anywhere else. It’s just school, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to graduate because of my dad’s stubbornness. My safety and happiness is the most important thing to me, and regular public school just won’t do it for me. They are afraid I will become a hermit and never leave the house, but I don’t want that to happen as much as they do. I have this whole plan figured out that I have shared with them but they refuse to listen to anyone else but themselves. I’m so afraid that I won’t graduate high school because of my parents’ mistakes. My future means everything to me, what should I do?

A.

It sounds like your psychiatrist is your greatest ally. I think a family meeting where your psychiatrist can talk directly to your parents on your behalf — while you’re there — would be good. It sounds like you need the support and help of a knowledgeable professional to help broker this understanding with your parents.

If the psychiatrist is not willing or able you can ask him or her to recommend a family therapist to work with you your parents. You sound quite passionate and knowledgeable about what you need. I’ll encourage you to keep finding the support of professionals to help you and your parents come to an understanding.