Home » Ask the Therapist » Sudden Onset of Anger

Sudden Onset of Anger

In the past few months I have felt as if my mind is in overdrive. I have difficulty concentrating on my studies, i keep skipping classes and even stopped learning. I am a good achiever yet i have failed in more than one exam over the past few months. I experience anger without cause and it lasts for a long time during which i feel irritated and prone to keep away from friends and family. Although I have never had alcohol or drugs nor ever wished to intake them during these times of anger I consider consuming mind altering substances. I realize this is unhealthy and wish to understand the reason and so please offer any insight you might have.

Sudden Onset of Anger

A.

This is a difficult question to answer without more detailed information about your experiences. Generally speaking, there is probably something that precipitates your anger.

Try to think about what has been going on in your life over the past few months. Has something changed? Are there new people in your life? Did you move? Did you start a new job? Are you involved in a new activity? Did you begin taking a new medication? Did your sleeping patterns change? Those are some questions to consider that might help you determine the source of the problem.

It might be helpful to start journaling about your mood changes. You might find that you’re especially angry after interacting with a certain person, engaging in a particular activity or when tired. Sleep deprivation is a major cause of emotional instability. Journaling could help you determine what triggers your anger.

If this continues to be a problem, consider seeing a therapist. A therapist is a trained and objective observer of human behavior. He or she might have valuable insight into what might be wrong. Please take care.

Sudden Onset of Anger