Home » I’m Aroused by Urination

I’m Aroused by Urination

From a teen in Australia: I have this disorder of being sexually aroused when a guy urinates. I’m pretty sure I’m straight, but I do not get aroused when a girl does it. I really don’t want to be sexually aroused by urination, because this is becoming to be all I think about. I want to be normal and not be sexually aroused when someone is urinating or when I think about urination.

Please help me, the problem is really getting out of hand.

I’m Aroused by Urination

A.

Thank you for writing. What you are describing is a benign paraphilia. Although they are distressing to you, thoughts don’t hurt anyone. Unless you approach someone inappropriately, your fetish won’t make trouble for you.

The more you try not to think about it, the more you will think about it. If I told you that under no circumstances are you to think about purple pigs, it would be very, very difficult for you to prevent yourself from thinking about them. Even trying not to think about purple pigs is thinking about them. That’s what has happened to you. By trying so hard not to think of the fetish, you are making yourself think about it even more.

Most people with a fetish don’t seek a cure. They learn to manage it by compartmentalizing it into a particular time and place or with only particular people. If you want to control or manage your thoughts of men urinating, you probably do need some help. Your degree of distress tells me that if you could have done it on your own, you would have done so already.

Hypnosis works for some people. Other people are successful with cognitive therapy. I suggest you interview therapists who treat paraphilias and who know those techniques to see what they suggest. If you need help locating a therapist, click on the “Find Help” tab on the PsychCentral homepage.

I’m Aroused by Urination