Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Make Up My Mind about Seeing a Therapist

I Can’t Make Up My Mind about Seeing a Therapist

From a 39 year old woman in the U.S.: Should I see a therapist? I can’t make up my mind! First of all, here is my condition:

1) I suffer from severe depression and nervousness
2) Suffer from Social anxieties
3) am diabetic
4) Have high blood pressure

I am a happy introvert, but my current problem is that I have no motivation at all for a long long time to do even basic things like shower or wash my face. I can’t work because I am emotionally unstable plus my hands and voice trembles when nervous. So I spend my days each day lying in bed. I do get up every now and then to join my mom in the garage for a chat because I get restless. I want to be able to come up with great ideas for more new stories to write but I can’t concentrate! And my Psychiatrist and my mom suggested I try talking to a therapist to get over my social anxieties and boost my self esteem. I tell my mom EVERYTHING so I see no need to see a therapist, but since my mom suggested to think about it, I can’t make up my mind! Plus my mind is so slow,

Any advice, please? Suggestions?

A.

Since you can’t make up your mind, let me try to help: It would be wise for you to listen to your psychiatrist and your mother. Your mother may be loving and supportive, but she doesn’t have the training and skills to help you deal with your feelings. Your psychiatrist is recommending that you see a therapist because it is just plain good practice. Symptoms like yours respond best to a combination of talk therapy and medication.

If you haven’t already, do make an appointment with your endocrinologist as well. Diabetes increases the risk for depression. In addition, high sugars and dehydration can cause what is called “fuzzy thinking” or “being in a fog”. That may be what you are describing as “slow.” Let’s make sure your lack of motivation isn’t a consequence of inadequate diabetes management.

You are an important member of your treatment team. If you don’t have the energy to step up and take charge for now, ask your mother to make those appointments (a therapist and endocrinologist) for you. You can feel better.