Home » Ask the Therapist » My 12 Year Old Girlfriend Thinks She Is Pregnant

My 12 Year Old Girlfriend Thinks She Is Pregnant

I am currently together with a 12 year old girl (she will stay anonymous). She moved away recently and we still communicate through texting. Recently she texted me that she thought she was pregnant. She read that if it is positive the urine stays foamy and hers did for about 20 min. (13 days past ovaluation) I feel concerned for her. We have never had sex or even mentioned it. So I am wondering if she cheated on me or if something else happened, or if she is crazy. Thanks for your help.

A.

It can be very upsetting when someone we care deeply about believes she is in a difficult situation. Your girlfriend doesn’t sound like she has enough information about how a pregnancy can be determined. The fact that you have never had sex with her and that she believes she is pregnant should be a clear indication to you that she is too naïve in her understanding of how pregnancy happens, has been sexually active with someone else, or has made the whole thing up. In any case she isn’t someone you will want to invest your time and energy in. She has moved away and clearly you are not her priority.

I would focus on finding relationships with girls who live near you and that you can develop a bond with.