Home » My Boyfriend Has a Phobia of New Places

My Boyfriend Has a Phobia of New Places

From an 18 year old in the U.S.: My boyfriend has a very specific phobia. He gets panic attacks while driving to places he’s never been. He has a certain few places he can drive to, in a close vicinity to his house, but he’s never been to my house. He will drive to it, get as close as maybe a quarter mile away, start to panic, and turns around.

I try to be supportive but this is incredibly frustrating, and I can see it being detrimental to our relationship in the future. We can”t go on dates, we can’t go anywhere but to his house. I don’t know what to do.

My Boyfriend Has a Phobia of New Places

A.

You are correct. He seems to have a specific phobia. Unfortunately, all you can do is encourage him to get treatment. He has to do the therapeutic work to get over this. You can’t do it for him.

The good news is that phobias can be treated. Desensitization therapy and relaxation techniques are very successful. Sometimes a medication is also recommended as an adjunct to the therapy.

I hope your boyfriend is interested in treatment. His phobia will continue to dramatically limit his life. If he won’t agree to therapy, he is essentially asking you to accept that your life together will be limited by his disorder. Then you have a difficult decision to make.

My Boyfriend Has a Phobia of New Places