Home » Disorders » Depression » Showing Symptoms of Schizophrenia and/or Depression?

Showing Symptoms of Schizophrenia and/or Depression?

To whom it may concern,

Where do I begin? Let’s see… for the past few years, I have been feeling quite unusual. Like I’m going crazy. I should make it known to you that I had Epilepsy, but thankfully I’ve grown out of it. The medication I took for it, however, did have some major side effects. These side effects are most likely things such as anger issues, depression, and/or schizophrenia. As previously mentioned, I believe that I am suffering from Depression and/or Schizophrenia. I am currently on the waiting list for a private therapist in my state, but each day I grow freighted with fear that I truly am going mad. I feel as if I can’t speak to anyone about my issues because I am more concerned with helping others with their problems (not that I think that’s bad or anything; I enjoy helping others out.) That and I’ve a rather grim opinion about most people nowadays. Only been on this earth for 15 years, yet I know more than I want to about its disgusting underbelly. I am writing to you to ask as to what I should do. Since this waiting list for the therapist is quite long, it could be months or even years before I am called to him. Do you have any advice till then?

A.

I cannot provide a diagnosis over the Internet, but nothing you have written would suggest schizophrenia. In addition, I’m not aware of any research that suggests epilepsy drugs cause schizophrenia.

Your epilepsy medicine could have impacted your emotions, making your feel depressed, angry, irritable, and so forth. Side effects occur with almost every medication. It might partially explain why you feel the way you do.

There might be other factors as well. Untreated depression could be the problem. Some of your symptoms are consistent with depression.

It’s wise to consult a therapist. He or she can objectively evaluate what might be wrong and provide the appropriate treatment. You might want to try your local community mental health center, for a sooner appointment.

In the meantime, track your symptoms. This information will help your therapist determine what’s wrong. You should also try to reduce your stress. You might try yoga, meditation or exercise to relax. The more you can relax, the less likely it is you will be prone to anger or depression. Stress reduction isn’t a cure-all, but it could decrease your distressing symptoms. Good luck with therapy. Please take care.