Home » Ask the Therapist » Don’t Know When to Change Psychiatrist

Don’t Know When to Change Psychiatrist

i’m having troubles with asking to see a different psychiatrist-it seems like she has given up on me. I like mine or should i say i use to like her and trust her…. now if i bring up any concern she just dismisses me and doesn’t ask even why i feel a certain why or why i’d think something is wrong. like just doesn’t seem to want to care or understand where myself or my councellors concerns stem from. i just kinda feel like she doesn’t want to see me anymore… but i’m soo scared of changing dr’s and starting over. just the overbearing anxiety.  how do i be certain that it’s time to change…. what key aspects should i see as warning sign to change drs? (age 27, from Canada)

Don’t Know When to Change Psychiatrist

A.

Based on what you are describing here, I’d say the time to change psychiatrists is now. If you feel that she doesn’t seem to care anymore and dismisses not only you, but also your counselor’s concerns, then she is most likely not giving you optimal care. I would at least suggest that you get a second opinion so that you feel that you have a choice. If you decide to stick with your current doctor, it may be helpful if you ask your counselor to attend an appointment with you to help you express yourself with less anxiety.

Doctors are human too and may go through periods in their life when they are stressed or burned out, but you deserve to get quality care. You will feel much better if you advocate for yourself and seek the best care possible.

Don’t Know When to Change Psychiatrist