Home » Personality » I Might Have Avoidant Personality Disorder, But I Am Scared to Seek Help

I Might Have Avoidant Personality Disorder, But I Am Scared to Seek Help

I think I might have avoidant personality disorder based on things I’ve read on this website and other websites. I want to seek out a therapist for this but I’m afraid if I go in and I don’t have it then they’ll think I’m a fool. I don’t want to suggest a diagnosis to them. I’m very unhappy and want help but I’m too scared.

A.

I do not believe that a therapist would think of you as a “fool” for your having done research and given in-depth thought to what might be wrong.¬†Actually, a therapist might think just the opposite. He or she would likely be impressed by your contemplative nature, that you are actively seeking answers for how to improve your life. That’s a sign of a responsible person who wants help, who is open to help and who wants to change. In the therapy world, you sound like an ideal client.

Another point to consider, is that with the advent of the Internet, it’s normal and even expected that clients conduct research about a potential diagnosis. Self-diagnosis is not encouraged, however, therapists are not surprised when it happens. Your therapist will work with you to determine the correct diagnosis.

Don’t let fear stop you from seeking help. Your inclination to seek help is the right one. Your receiving help could make the difference between a happy or miserable life. You want to do everything in your power to avoid the latter.

Search for a therapist with whom you feel the most comfortable. That will likely give you the best chance of success. You might ask for a referral from your primary care physician (PCP). Some primary care physicians are beginning to hire therapists to work in their offices. You can find a therapist by calling the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card or searching the Internet for therapist reviews. Psych Central has resources for finding a therapist as do other websites. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.