Home » I’m Bulimic and Want to Stop. How Do I?

I’m Bulimic and Want to Stop. How Do I?

Hello! I’m a 13 year old girl and I’ve been struggling with bulimia for a year and a couple of months now. I’m at a perfectly healthy weight but want to lose 20 pounds. Any time I start dieting I cant handle the hunger, eat as much as I can and then puke in the bathroom. This has been happening everyday for the last 13-14 months but my weight hasn’t changed at all. There were days where I would puke like 5-6 times a day, but sometimes I would manage not to do it for days. (Which is really hard and a whole acheivment for me.) NOBODY knows about it and I haven’t talked to anybody about it. I feel stupid and ashamed of it. I also feel extreme anxiety and suffer panic attacks any time i have to attend a social event, only because I hate my body and I think everyone on the street is looking at me and saying “Oh my God she is so fat, look at her” and etc. Please help me, I want to stop doing that, I want to have a healthy lifestyle and a healthy mind. I feel great for admitting it to you but also awful for being so stupid for having it at such a young age. Please don’t think of me as a silly confused child, I really need help. I scored severe in the Bulimia nervosa quiz at your site, and I know it shouldn’t be taken as a diagnosis, but I’m really sick and tired of it. Give me an advise how to win over it alone, because there are no specialists or clinics where I live. Thank you!!! (age 13, from Bulgaria)

I’m Bulimic and Want to Stop. How Do I?

A.

Thank you for being courageous enough to write in with your question. You do not need to feel stupid or ashamed for the issues that you have been having, but you do need to get some help. Eating disorders can be complicated and are too serious to handle on your own. You took the first step by writing in to this site, now it’s time to talk to someone there who can help you.

I would suggest that you start with your parents — you could even show them the letter that you wrote. But some other adults who can point you in the right direction might be your school counselor or nurse, or your family doctor. There may not be a specialty clinic where you live, but I did a quick online search and there are therapists in your city. Please speak to someone soon so that you can turn this around and enjoy your teenage years.

I’m Bulimic and Want to Stop. How Do I?