Home » Parenting » Mother Doesn’t Communicate

Mother Doesn’t Communicate

My mother is, and always has been, a very shy person. In public, she talks limitedly and as necessary. Around her family, she is somewhat more talkative but by no means chatty.
The problem is that I am dealing with personal issues in my life, and I would really like to have her input and support, and for her to communicate more with me. This lack of communication is causing many fights between us: basically, I try to talk with her about issues affecting me, and her replies are limited and not very helpful. Neither is she supportive, and rarely provides her opinion. It’s often a one-sided conversation with her. I have asked her to please try to improve her communication, so as to help me. But, while an argument might be temporarily resolved, the same communication problems resurface at later times–with each incidence causing the communication problem to snowball further.

Am I wrong to think that a mother should make the effort to help her daughter in this way? (I’ve always seen other mothers be overly chatty and helpful with their children, and go to great lengths to help them.)
By the way, she wouldn’t go to therapy.

Mother Doesn’t Communicate

A.

I wouldn’t keep going to the hardware store for a loaf of bread. Seek out some therapy at the school you are going to rather than hoping to change your mom. It is time for you to be more independent and to move away from your mother. Financial, emotional, and intellectual independence need to be your goals.

Mother Doesn’t Communicate