Home » Should I Get a Second Opinion?

Should I Get a Second Opinion?

From England: Hi, I have been struggling with episodes of severe anxiety, depression and self harm for many years. These episodes will suddenly lift and I will feel great but it cycles back very quickly.

I saw a psychiatrist after lots of doctors told me what they thought I had wrong with me and gave me more anti-depressants which all made me feel very unstable. The psychiatrist believes that my brain is unable to regulate emotions properly due to early childhood trauma but that I can’t have any medication for it. I was just wondering if I should get a second opinion because I am really struggling at the moment and think I could be on some sort of medication to deal with it. Thanks

Should I Get a Second Opinion?

A.

You are always entitled to get a second opinion, of course. But if I read your letter correctly, you have already seen a number of doctors who are telling you the same thing.

For that reason, I encourage you to stop looking for a medicine to solve your problems. Instead, make an appointment with a mental health counselor and give talk therapy an honest 3 – 6 month try to see if it helps.

The mental health counselor will help you address your emotional dysregulation. Further, if you see the therapist for a number of months, the therapist will be able to determine if you, in fact, do need some medication. If so, the therapist will be able to support your request when you want to see a psychiatrist.

Should I Get a Second Opinion?