Home » Disorders » Depression » How Can I Get a Prescription Refill for My Antidepressants?

How Can I Get a Prescription Refill for My Antidepressants?

(It’s Complicated.) I am running out of antidepressants and I’m sort of paralyzed because I don’t know how I’m supposed to get a new prescription for them. I originally got prescribed paxil at my student health center, and since I graduated, they won’t keep sending me prescriptions. Can I go to urgent care? I work all week on a relatively rural mountain and I don’t have a car. I also kind of feel like I need therapy for my myriad issues, but I don’t know if it’s cheaper to get a prescription from a GP and go to a therapist or go whole hog and go see a psychiatrist. Not to mention the fact that I’ll have to ask someone to drive me, which is a whole other can of anxiety-ridden worms. Literally the only thing I desperately need is a prescription. Mainly I just don’t want to go through the horrific withdrawal effects. Help?

A.

You can seek an evaluation at an urgent care or a hospital. Perhaps after the evaluation, a physician can write you a short-term prescription. You’ll still need a more long-term plan which would likely include your seeing a psychiatrist.

You might also try calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Your insurance company can refer you to the appropriate treatment providers.

Your long-term plan for treatment might also include counseling. Many mental health problems require both medication and counseling. There are some people who utilize one or the other and seem to do fine, but most comprehensive treatment plans include both medication and counseling. Medication helps to quell symptoms and therapy helps you to develop problem-solving skills for dealing with life problems.

I would recommend that you consider both medication and counseling, but in the short term try an urgent care or a hospital or wherever your insurance provider suggests. Many primary care physicians, will prescribe anti-depressants. You can check with your PCP.

One final suggestion is asking your insurance provider about telepsychiatry services. Telepsychiatry is a relatively new specialty field of psychiatry which allows physicians to communicate with clients via videoconferencing through the Internet. It might be just what you need given your rural location. I hope this helps. Please take care.