Home » Complicated Relationship with a Boy Abroad

Complicated Relationship with a Boy Abroad

Hello! I met T. this summer while i was on a long term relationship. My boyfriend at that time cheated on me several times but we were trying to make it work, even I often felt unappreciated and unhappy. I met T. randomly one night and we instantly clicked. He was on holiday in my country and he was going to live the country soon. We met a few times and before he left, we kissed. He made me feel so special, he was very smart and kind with me. After he left, I went to visit him (while I was still in a relationship). We had an amazing time, but he was very sad every time my boyfriend called. He told me he loved me, but I didn’t say it back, even if I loved him. After I left his country we kept talking for a month and after that he suddenly changed. I could tell he was in love with me, for real. But something happened, and he became very distant. Meanwhile I broke up with my boyfriend. Now T. is on an exchange program for 6 months. I have asked him if he still wants something with us, but he just ignored my question and we haven’t spoken since than. I know we started in a wrong way and I shouldn’t have continued my relationship, but I was very confused than. I love him and miss him extremely much, but I simply don’t understand what happened and what I can do about it. Please help me! (From Romania)

A.

T. is a symptom — not a cause of your break up. His lack of availability was the perfect opportunity for you to move away from your boyfriend. The work now is for you to stay broken up and see the brief connection to T. as a catalyst for change. The chances are he isn’t the love of your life but an activator for you to move on.