Home » When to Change Psychiatrists?

When to Change Psychiatrists?

I’m having troubles with asking to see a different psychiatrist — I like mine, or should I say I used to like her and trust her… now if I bring up any concern she just dismisses me and doesn’t ask even why I feel a certain way or why I’d think something is wrong. Like just doesn’t seem to want to care or understand where myself or my councelor’s concerns stem from. I just kinda feel like she doesn’t want to see me anymore… but I’m soo scared of changing dr’s and starting over. Just the overbearing anxiety.

How do I be certain that it’s time to change… what key aspects should do see as warning sign to change drs???

When to Change Psychiatrists?

A.

I would encourage you to have a conversation with your psychiatrist about your concerns. The more open you can be with her, the better.

You should also discuss your concerns with your counselor. You and she can strategize about how to approach this situation. She might even be able to speak to the psychiatrist on your behalf.

Generally speaking, if your psychiatrist is not responding to your concerns and is ignoring your feedback, then it is probably time for a change. Another sign that you might need to change psychiatrists, is when you feel that he or she no longer seems concerned with your progress or your care.

I understand the anxiety associated with seeing a new psychiatrist, but sometimes changes are necessary. If the only reason you are staying with your current psychiatrist is fear, that is not a good reason to stay. Fear-based decisions are problematic and often incorrect.

What’s most important is your having a psychiatrist that you feel is working in partnership with you. Lacking that partnership might hinder your progress. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

When to Change Psychiatrists?