Home » Depression » Do I Have Depression?

Do I Have Depression?

Ok so I’ve talked to my parents a few times about how I think I might have depression. I’ve taken the tests on here every other day and results are almost always the same, minor to severe depression. So when I talked to my parents they said it was just because my hormones are all over the place, but would my hormones give me suicidal thoughts or wanting to cut. I don’t cut or commit suicide because I’m scared of the pain. I have also lost interest in some of my favourite things. I don’t sleep normal anymore either, I just can’t sleep, and when I cant sleep I think about how my future looks like I’ll never make it or I’ll just let my family down. My family and parents are the main cause to these thoughts trying to live up to all their expectations. I am just wondering if I could get someones idea on my situation and if my suspicion is a possibility.

Sincerely,
A girl who just wants to lay in bed all day.

Do I Have Depression?

A.

I can’t provide a diagnosis over the Internet but anytime someone is considering self-harm or suicide, it’s serious. Depression might be the cause of your problems or it could be, as you indicated, your feeling pressure to live up to certain perceived expectations.

Even though they did not respond as they should have, it was wise to speak to your parents. Consider showing them this letter as a demonstration of your seriousness. If they know that you are continuing to reach out for help, it might motivate them to act.

If that does not work, then speak to the school guidance counselor or another school faculty member whom you trust. Inform them about how you feel and ask for their assistance. Someone at your school should be able to help.

I can only provide a general response to your question but it’s important to recognize that the pressure you feel may be self-induced. In other words, these expectations may not be real or they may be exaggerated in your mind. Allow for the possibility that you are misreading the situation.

That is why meeting with a mental health professional is so important, because he or she can provide an objective assessment of your situation.

Do your best to seek mental health treatment. If you feel that you might harm yourself or someone else, call emergency officials so that they can protect you. I hope you’re able to find the help that you desire. Please take care.

Do I Have Depression?