Home » Personality » Do I Have Avoidant Personality Disorder?

Do I Have Avoidant Personality Disorder?

From a teen in Canada: I have been formally diagnosed with major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder and have been taking steps to deal with them. Recently I discovered Avoidant Personality Disorder and the diagnostic criteria seems to fit my situation extremely well — as in after looking through and checking off symptoms and characteristics I fit with nearly all of them and fulfill the DSM IV criteria.

Obviously this is little more than a suspicion on my part, but I don’t know what to do now. My social anxiety isn’t getting any better and I’ve been dealing with it for years. Now, even though I feel relieved as if I have a better understanding of myself, I have no idea what to do… less what I can do. Should I take this suspicion and my reasoning to a doctor/ therapist? Or will I be labeled a hypochondriac? The thought of having to confront a doctor about this is making me extremely nervous. I don’t want to be out of line. What should I do and is it worth doing anything?

A.

You would not be at all out of line to bring your concerns to your doctor. You are an important member of your treatment team. Your doctor will appreciate any information you can bring to your therapy.

Please be aware that the symptoms of the personality disorders often are similar to those in other diagnoses. Your doctor will be able to sort out whether Avoidant Personality Disorder is a proper diagnosis for you.