Home » Is It Normal Feel Happy with Someone that I Know from Social Media?

Is It Normal Feel Happy with Someone that I Know from Social Media?

From Indonesia: I’m 21 and I have a friend from another country, he knew me from penpal website, he emailed me first. he said that he wanted to know me, then we chatted via Facebook and sometimes in other messenger apps. For the first time I wasn’t interested with him, but we almost chatted every night, he is a good man and sweet, always asked my activity, and I like to share my problem with him and he always gave an advice. Day by day he makes me feel special, and I start liking him. But since 1 month ago he seldom chatted me,

I know he is so busy, but sometimes I just thought that he didn’t want me again, but when I text him first , he always replied that made my negative thinking about him lost.Actually he always texted me first when we had just been knowing but since he seldom texted me , I texted him first in order I never lose contact.

Almost 1 month I feel lonely and sometime I feel sad cause of it but luckyly he always replied my text although take for a long time I dont know why I feel enjoy when chat with him although we never met, I just want to know is it normal feel enjoy and happy with someone that I know from social media? is it right what I had done?

A.

What you are doing with this man isn’t wrong, but it isn’t likely to solve your problems. When someone is as lonely as you seem to be, they are very vulnerable to interpreting any gesture of kindness as having more meaning than perhaps it does. This man showed some caring and interest and even offered you some advice. That must have felt very, very good. Of course it made you happy. Of course you enjoyed it. But the facts are that you know nothing about him and he isn’t in your life the way a friend would be. Your dependence on hearing from him as your primary source of social contact isn’t healthy or useful. You need more.

Analyzing the man’s behavior isn’t really going to help you feel better. Your focus needs to be on finding a group of local friends with whom you can share your life. People do need other people to feel and be at their best. If you don’t know how to start, please search the PsychCentral archives. There are many good articles on how to find and maintain friendships.