Home » Sister’s Boyfriend Is Very Touchy Feely with Her 12 Year-Old Daughter

Sister’s Boyfriend Is Very Touchy Feely with Her 12 Year-Old Daughter

My sister is in her 40’s and has a live-in boyfriend more than 10 years her junior. She has joint custody of her 2 kids, a 12 year-old daughter and a 16 year-old son, so they stay with her half the time. I visit them about once a month because of distance, but when I do, I’m there almost the whole day.

The way my sister’s boyfriend interacts with my niece makes me feel uncomfortable. He hugs her from behind and tickles her. The other day, we were at the store, and he playfully slapped her bottom in front of everyone. He shows a lot of PDA with my sister as well (which also makes me feel uncomfortable), so I guess it’s just his nature. Is it just me or is his behavior toward my niece inappropriate?

A.

Thank you for your email. This is very hard to know because the descriptions you’ve given are too difficult to interpret. That being said, the most important thing here is the fact that you feel uncomfortable. Your discomfort should be something you should talk to your sister about. Let her know how you feel and why — and give her a chance to respond. I would begin with this conversation and see what happens.