Home » Schizoaffective Disorder/ Schizophrenia?

Schizoaffective Disorder/ Schizophrenia?

I’m a 15 year old girl who has been attending CAMHS for several months now. I have told them a great deal and opened up fully to them. Along side going to CAMHS, I’ve done some research of my own. My therapist keeps saying that it’s anxiety that i have, when what ive seen relates, but seems more than that. I have been hearing voices which are almost indecipherable, and as time passes theyre getting easier and easier to understand. I’ve looked through several sites and compared and came up with some things based on the things mentioned repeatedly throughout the sites. What ive come up with is that it could be some type of schizoaffective disorder, or schizophrenia. In general I feel depersonalized most of the time, and over the years ive learned to just get on with it, and found ways to deal with it, but it seems to be getting worse. The treatment that my therapist is giving me is CBT, and to be honest, it helps a bit, but not nearly enough :/ Do you think this is anxiety, or am I completely wrong to think of schizoaffective disorder/schizophrenia?

A.

This is a difficult question to answer because I don’t have much information about your symptoms. Your therapist would be in the best position to answer your question.

My assumption is that you’ve told your therapist about your symptoms and he or she believes that anxiety is your main problem. It’s possible that your therapist is wrong, but keep in mind that he or she is a trained professional.

You mentioned hearing voices but didn’t elaborate. We all hear an inner voice. This voice is thought to come from our conscious mind. It is something that everyone experiences.

External voices, however, are associated with psychotic disorders. External voices are not recognizable as our own voice. These types of voices tend to say negative, derogatory and even frightening things. Which category do the voices you hear fit into?

You also mentioned depersonalization. I’m wondering what you meant by that expression. That is not typically a symptom of schizophrenia.

I am assuming that you have told your therapist about your symptoms but if you haven’t, you should. It’s important that you be completely open with your treating professionals. They need to know about everything you’re experiencing. Tell them about your concerns and that you think something more might be going on.

Finally, you should also tell them that you’re not sure if cognitive behavioral therapy is working for you. That type of feedback will help them to adjust their treatment of your symptoms. Please take care.

Dr Kristina Randle