Home » Strange Fantasies

Strange Fantasies

From the U.S.: I have, every night, thought about being raped or kidnapped. I’m beginning to think that this is a problem. I currently see a doctor for my manic-depressive bipolar disorder, but am currently un-medicated. I am nervous to tell him about it.

It’s so much of an issue that I would rather think of these things than to have relations with my husband, who has no idea. I just wanted to know if there is any help for me, and if so, should I let my psychologist know about it?

Strange Fantasies

A.

Absolutely you should tell your psychologist. It could be that you want a closer relationship with your husband but fear it or don’t know how to do it. Or it may be that your fantasies are helping you avoid your husband. Or it could be something else entirely. Without talking with you, I can’t tell you what is really going on. Until you bring it into the open with your therapist, the therapist can’t help you figure it out or decide what to do.

Yes, there is help for you but only if you are honest with your helper. We psychologists only have what the patient gives us to go on. We can’t provide you the support and help you need if we don’t know what is going through your mind.

If you think it will be hard to start the conversation, bring your letter and my response to your next therapy session. It might help you ease into the discussion.

Strange Fantasies