Home » Ask the Therapist » Lots Of Anger and Violence and Unexplainable Emotions

Lots Of Anger and Violence and Unexplainable Emotions

Lots of the time I’m in a state of euphoria for absolutely no reason, and can be seen laughing with my friends and making jokes. I have rare depressive mood swings here and there, and I’m highly irritable and violent. My mother was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I have no idea if it was bipolar 1 or 2. To be honest, I’m a very shy person, but this sudden euphoria changes that and makes me outgoing. Whenever I wake up in the mornings, it doesn’t matter what amount of sleep I got, I don’t feel tired.. at all. I don’t know if my anger is caused from past events but I want to stop it or at least control it before it gets out of hand. My mother was in an abusive relationship and there was a lot of hell I went through during that time. After I got away from the environment, my mood and behavior was changing (such as me becoming more upset easily and speaking out of anger a lot more than usual). I don’t know what to do??

A.

It must be very scary to have these symptoms. As you state your age as 14 it is time to explain this all to your pediatrician. The mood swings may be something medicine can help with. The physician will be able to help figure out what is going on. Tell them what you’ve written about here. The physician will then be able to make recommendations about what to do next.