Home » OCD » I Have a Fear of Going to Work

I Have a Fear of Going to Work

From the Philippines: I recently graduated. I have a fear of going to work because I am afraid to do anything on my own. I have always doubt with my skills and to my self. I have always what ifs on my mind like: it is unfamiliar place, what if I get lost… what if I made mistake, what if the boss is scary.

I always fear the idea of going to unfamiliar place that when it gets on my mind, thinking of it makes me worried or unable to sleep soundly. I never go to unfamiliar route without worrying what will happen to me there alone and without companions to help me.

I don’t like to stray too far from my house that is why I rarely leave my home except going to church. What should I do? It hinders me to explore the real world and developed my being to become independent…I fear real life.

I Have a Fear of Going to Work

A.

Thank you for writing. This sounds very painful. You don’t have to continue to live this way. There is help available that really and truly is helpful.

I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a short letter but what you are reporting is consistent with an anxiety disorder. As you have already discovered, your fears/anxiety are preventing you from moving forward in life. The longer it goes untreated, the worse it gets. At this point, you may actually be worried about your worries — which will only make you more anxious.

Please consider seeing a therapist to help you break the cycle of fear. Really. It can be done. A therapist will help you learn to cope with your fears and will teach you some skills for becoming more independent.

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to get a copy of the book Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. He describes concrete things you can do to manage your anxiety.

I Have a Fear of Going to Work