Home » My Family Member Is Suffering from Schizophrenia & I Need Help

My Family Member Is Suffering from Schizophrenia & I Need Help

My relative is saying such weird stuff lately, like people are watching him or the television is directing messages to him and everyone is spying on him. At first he refused medication and he yelled at us saying that he is not insane. Nowadays, he keeps asking us whether he is abnormal or not, which is weird because I heard that schizophrenic people don’t confess about their disorder. What is also weird that he really likes to brag about his weird stories and he sees that there is a problem, though he refused to confess at first. I read before that schizophrenic people are reluctant to talk about their hallucinations, but he does the complete opposite. What is more is that he answers most of our questions by saying “You all know everything already, don’t you? I don’t have to explain. You understand it all.”
He thinks that his family members hate him and they are all against him.

1. We don’t know if he is faking schizophrenia or not, how can we discover if he is?

2. And if he really is schizophrenic, is it helpful that we can talk to him about it or not?

3. My sister is thirteen and she spends a lot of time searching and reading about his case, and she talks with him trying to convince him. Can she be affected by his disorder too?

Please answer me as soon as possible! We really need help.

Thank you.

A.

Regarding your first question, the best way to know if your relative has schizophrenia is for him to undergo an evaluation. If he’s willing, schedule an appointment with a mental health professional and accompany him for support.

You can talk about his symptoms, if he is open to it and if it’s constructive. If talking about his symptoms makes him anxious, then avoid it.

If, on the other hand, talking about his symptoms helps him gain positive insight about how to better manage them, then it might be fine but you’ll have to use your judgment. It would be best to ask this question to the professional conducting the evaluation, who will be more familiar with his symptoms and circumstances.

Your final question relates to your sister and if she could be affected by his disorder. When a family member has schizophrenia, it affects the entire family to one degree or another. How much it affects each family member depends upon many factors such as whether or not his symptoms are under control, how much education each family member has about the disorder, and so forth. All family members should be educated about the disorder. The more they know about it, the better they can assist in managing it.

Psych Central is a good resource for information about schizophrenia. Government websites are good too. Books are another good resource, including those by Xavier Amador, E. Fuller Torrey, Kim T. Mueser, among others.

Other resources to utilize include the National Alliance on Mental Illness, Treatment Before Tragedy and other advocacy groups focused on assisting families who have a loved one with a severe mental illness.

If you have additional questions, don’t hesitate to write again. Please take care.