Home » I Become Insufferable During PMS

I Become Insufferable During PMS

I experience extreme PMS and feel like I am driving my loved ones away. I have been in and out of the doctor for two years, still don’t know. I experience extreme depression, anger, hopelessness and never ending pain during ovulation that lasts until my period comes, up to two weeks later. The 3 doctors I’ve seen have not had any other explanation besides “it’s normal PMS, you have too much stress”. Well, yes it is stress because I do not feel like myself for half of each month and am ruining my relationships with my unexplained depression and lashing anger. Who wouldn’t be stressed? Something obviously isn’t working and I need therapy or medication or both. Hell, maybe I have a vitamin deficiency and it’s a simple fix. But so far, no doctors have been able to tell me what I need. As soon as my period comes, all symptoms go away and I finally feel normal and level headed again. I was afraid to research into my symptoms and didn’t want to self diagnose. That all changed after seeing three doctors and nobody had any advice to help me cope, I was doubting my own sanity.

I am not positive but I have a feeling I am suffering from PMDD, although my recent doctor said I do not have it, as I would have already been diagnosed by now. I’m only 26, I found that a bit ridiculous but hey I’m no doctor. The reason I signed up for this site and am writing this today is because I’m currently in the middle of an extreme episode, and now I can get exactly how I feel out there, instead of waiting until I feel sane to explain how I feel. Because then, I downplay my symptoms.

I woke up today feeling such extreme depression that I had an anxiety attack right there laying in bed. I cried very hard, verbally attacked my loving boyfriend of 3.5 years over TEXT. Now that i’ve no more tears, I feel numb and I hate myself. I’m pushing him away, I’m pushing everyone away. I don’t know what to do next. This isn’t normal PMS. Why do I feel so normal otherwise? When I’m feeling normal, everything is fine. The change is so incredibly extreme. I can’t leave bed, even get up to eat something. I feel so out of control. (age 26, from US)

I Become Insufferable During PMS

A.

You are describing classic symptoms of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). I’m sorry that you have consulted with three different doctors and none of them seem to be taking you seriously. There are successful treatments available. Most of my clients have been helped immensely by taking anti-depressant medication. Others have sought more natural approaches through a naturopath, homeopathic physician or acupuncturist.

I would suggest that you either try seeing one of your doctors again and be much more forceful in requesting help or consider making an appointment with a psychiatrist (since this is technically considered a mental health diagnosis). It’s your body and you know best when something is out of balance. Be persistent until you find a treatment that helps you restore the balance.

I Become Insufferable During PMS