Home » Ask the Therapist » Self Esteem/Relationship Issue

Self Esteem/Relationship Issue

When I was 9 years old, I developed a rare disease that has since left me deaf and blind. For a long time, I was in and out of doctors appointments never really having time to make real friends. I have an amazing, loving family. But, for the first time I am making friends. This is so hard because I’ve never really had any. I’m so afraid of being alone not having others truly love me. My friend and other friends say they love me, but I’m having such a hard time believing it. I’m worried that emotionally I may have something wrong with me. How can I know what love from a friend looks feels like? I feel like my best friend isn’t really feeling strongly about me as I want her to. As a friend. I just wonder if you can help me pinpoint the signs of something emotionally wrong? Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Hurting inside

Self Esteem/Relationship Issue

A.

Thank you for your email. Here is a link to a recent article I’ve written about friendships. The best way to keep in a friendship this to be the best friend you can be. Friendships need to be nurtured in real time, with real gestures. On your side of the equation make sure your friend feels cherished, love, and appreciated.

Your job is to do everything you can to let your friend know he or she is loved — then it is likely this feeling will be returned.

Self Esteem/Relationship Issue