Home » Depression » Help: History of Major Depression

Help: History of Major Depression

I have been telling random pointless lies almost compulsively for as long as I can remember. I have found that I spend allot of time trying to reach goals which I believe will make me happy, but never do. I recently began a habit of cutting myself, collecting the blood with a absorbent material and staring at it until I enter a state of uncontrollable laughter. I have as far as I can remember hated life and the only reason I have not killed myself is that I know what impact it will have on friends and family. I am always fully aware of my surroundings and use little to no stimuly (only alcohol twice a month). I am a poet and studying programming at the moment.

Help: History of Major Depression

A.

I cannot provide a diagnosis on the basis of a short letter. I would strongly recommend that you consult a mental health professional. When you believe that a problem is present, it’s wise to seek professional help.

It’s especially concerning that you have contemplated ending your life. When people consider suicide, it’s a sign that they are suffering and need help. People thinking about suicide often struggle to see that their lives can change for the better. They tend to see only the negative aspects of life and minimize anything that might be positive.

Don’t ignore your symptoms. Depression and suicidal ideation cloud judgment which is why it is imperative to consult a professional when you feel stuck. Contact your primary care physician and ask for a referral to a mental health professional.

If you broke your arm, you would not wait to seek help. The same should be true for depression. There’s no reason for you to suffer with a treatable condition. Mental health professionals can help you but it’s up to you to ask for their help. Please take care.

Help: History of Major Depression