Home » Disorders » OCD » Why Do I Do This with My Hands, Is It OCD?

Why Do I Do This with My Hands, Is It OCD?

I have a lot of anxiety and depression issues, but lately I’ve noticed that when I get anxious I count to four over and over again in my head, or on my fingers by touching my pinky to my thumb then my ring finger to my thumb and so on. Why do I do this? I don’t want to ask anyone because I feel like they will think I am weird, so I try to hide it. I am afraid I am going crazy. Do you know why I do this? (From Canada)

A.

Thank you for asking this important question. I can understand why you would think consider a diagnosis of OCD is a possibility. The repetition of the thoughts and behaviors sounds like it is a response to the anxiety — and an evaluation by a mental health professional with experience in OCD would be a very good next step. They can make the determination, and if it is OCD make recommendations for treatment.