Home » Music in My Head

Music in My Head

From the U.S.: I’m 55 and I often wake at night because my thoughts or dreams are so vibrant. I hear songs in my head, like when you get a song stuck in your head. But this is almost constant. Always some song in my head. I don’t hear it out loud; its not an audio hallucination. I’ve asked a neurologist about it and my internist. nobody seems to have heard of it before and its been happening for several years.

Music in My Head

A.

What you didn’t tell me is if it’s a problem for you. Actually, I’ve heard about it a great deal. In fact, I do it too.

Many people who love music or who are musicians have songs or melodies going on in the back of their minds much of the time. One of my clients talked about it as an old fashioned “jukebox” in her head. Someone would say a word or phrase and a song with that word in it would start up in her mind. She thoroughly enjoyed it. A good friend who is a concert pianist once told me that she usually has a mental concerto or chamber piece playing in her head when she is doing routines like housework or shopping.

Unless this is distressing to you, I suggest you embrace it. You have a gift for remembering music and songs that not everyone has.

Music in My Head