Home » Avoiding My Psychiatrist Because I Am Not Ready for Medicine

Avoiding My Psychiatrist Because I Am Not Ready for Medicine

I’m in college and last year I saw the school counselor, who believed I had dissociative disorders, depression, and anxiety. She wasn’t exactly sure because she only specializes in depression and anxiety. Over the summer, she recommended me to a psychiatrist, but I completely avoided them and their phone calls because I quite frankly felt unready to begin medication and I chickened out. Now that I’m back at school, I want to go back to the psych, but the counselor doesn’t work here anymore who recommended me. Is it still possible to go? I feel really embarrassed. What will they think about me? Will they even want me to go after I tried so hard to avoid them..?

A.

Yes, it is possible to return. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Not everyone wants to take medication and that’s okay.

Counseling is an effective treatment for the disorders you mentioned, particularly depression and anxiety. College counseling centers typically provide short-term counseling. If necessary, they might refer you to someone outside of their clinic but it doesn’t have to be a psychiatrist. You can simply request counseling instead of medication.

Many disorders benefit from both medication and counseling, but some people utilize only one or the other and find relief. What works for you might not work for someone else and vice versa.

When and if you return to the counseling center, they may inquire about your past therapist. If so, just say “I wasn’t comfortable with seeing a psychiatrist and for the time being, I wish to only participate in counseling.” They should respect your decision.

I hope that you will return to the counseling center. It would be a wise decision. Anxiety and depression are highly treatable. There is no reason to resist seeking help when it is available. Please take care.