Home » Trouble Making Decisions, Fear of the Future & Constant Worry

Trouble Making Decisions, Fear of the Future & Constant Worry

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for six years now and although I have learned to manage my anxiety, I have not had the same luck with my depression. I am faced with some major decisions and I find myself not being able to make them. It makes me feel stuck and scared of all the time I’m letting pass by. I am in constant worry and my sleep schedule is off. I often find myself feeling hopeless and overall overwhelmed. I don’t know if this is my depression or something else.

A.

You said that you have learned to manage your anxiety, but your symptoms would suggest otherwise. Constant worry, fearing the future, those are symptoms of anxiety. Your trouble making decisions might be associated with both anxiety and depression or lack of sleep.

It’s time to seek professional help, when the strategies used to manage your symptoms are not effective. Therapy is the most efficient way to learn symptom management skills. A therapist can teach you these skills. You can read self-help books, but therapy is much more efficient. It targets problems specific to you and teaches you solutions to solve those problems.

You can find a therapist by asking your primary care physician for a referral or by reviewing directories of therapists on our website or on Psychology Today’s website. Contact therapists in your community who specialize in anxiety and depression. Choose the one with whom you feel the strongest connection.

Anxiety and depression are highly treatable. Without treatment they tend to become worse over time. I hope you will consider therapy to assist you in finally eliminating these symptoms from your life. Please take care.