Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Social Eating Insecurity

Social Eating Insecurity

Growing up my boyfriend was homeless for some parts of his childhood. He also doesnt come from the greatest family, and experienced neglect throughtout his childhood. For the majority of his life he ate in solitude, and still prefers to not eat in public. This has become an issue in our relationship because I know he is uncomfortable when we go out to restaurants or when he eats dinner with my family. He will either eat his food extremley fast, or not touch the food at all and wrap it up and eat in the bathroom when we get home. I feel like this some sort of eating disorder, or social anxiety but it is stemming from never having social eating experience as a child. He feels like people are watching him while he eats, which makes him uncomfortable. I am writing to you because I want to help become more comfortable with eating in public and I am also curious if you, the experts, have had similar experiences with your clients, and what helped them.

Social Eating Insecurity

A.

I appreciate your concern for your boyfriend. Yes — my experience with this suggests his situation can be helped by therapy. I believe a good Cognitive Behavior Therapist (CBT) should be able to help. The kind of anxiety your boyfriend is experiencing is particularly amenable to this type of treatment. You can use the find help tab at the top of the page to find a therapist in your area.

Social Eating Insecurity