Home » Is It Bad to Use Self-Help Books While in Therapy?

Is It Bad to Use Self-Help Books While in Therapy?

Is it ok to read self-help books while in therapy? I am in therapy for a year now and I’d like to speed along the process with self-help strategies. Is this a good or a bad idea?

A.

It is okay as long as your therapist thinks so. Discuss it with your therapist to make sure that it does not interfere with therapy. Your therapist may have recommendations for books.

While reading self-help books can be a good idea, they are not all created equal. You want to read the right books. Make sure to read reviews. Fortunately, the Internet provides many opportunities to do this. You can even read sample book chapters before buying. Your local library is another good resource.

It seems like you’re doing all the right things. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.