Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Get My Dad to Listen to Me

I Can’t Get My Dad to Listen to Me

My Dad and I usually get on quite well. We have a lot in common, but whenever he cooks or cleans he doesn’t do the job properly. For instance, he won’t wash his hands before cooking or clean the sides down properly. I’m generally not that bothered by germs but everyone knows the basics of hygiene in the kitchen. I try to tell him that he should wash his hands, but he just get annoyed, and makes some excuse like he’s ‘thinking about other things’. 9 times out of 10 he doesn’t do the washing up properly either eg. there will still be oil on the frying pan. So when I try to do it or I tell him that it’s unclean he just gets irritated and says “your being rather annoying now” when I’m just trying to makes sure my sister and I get a healthy meal in a clean kitchen. My mum usually makes sure that the kitchen and everything else is clean but she’s away seeing her parents because my grandma’s going into surgery soon. Now my dad’s left with us he just seems incapable of doing even basic chores. I can’t keep pestering him but he doesn’t learn. It could be that he listens to my mum or that she does it usually and dad hasn’t had to do the washing up more than once every few days. I think it’s a bit of both.

I don’t know what to so because I try to help and do things so my dad doesn’t have to because it must be stressful for him with mum away but I can’t do everything. I’m just trying to look after my sister and making sure both her, me and my dad have a nice clean house to live in. The worst thing would be that my mum comes home to a bomb site of a house with plate piled up from dinner two nights ago. I just feel like it’s my responsibility to look after my family while mum’s away but I can’t seem to get through to my dad. What do you think the problem is and what should I do? Thanks (From London)

I Can’t Get My Dad to Listen to Me

A.

It isn’t your responsibility to look after the whole family while your mom’s away. Everyone needs to do their part — and it sounds like you are acting more like a mom than a daughter with your father. I would ask how you can help him rather than only try to help on your own. At dinner time you might be better able to influence if you did it by example rather than telling him what to do. Ask how you can help and wash your hands as you invite your dad to do so as well. Everyone is under stress while your mom is gone — don’t feel you have to answer for everyone and everything — just do your part.

I Can’t Get My Dad to Listen to Me