Home » Ask the Therapist » Fast Talking Voices in Head

Fast Talking Voices in Head

My niece just opened up to my family that she has been hearing voices. She says everyone talking around her they start to talk really fast and then she starts hearing very fast voices in her head. She gets very quiet and starts to whimpering when this happens she gets very scared and this has happened 2 times this week already while she’s been camping with her grandparents (my mom and step dad) she loves being with them too. Although she just opened up to us about this, this has been happening for a while she says. She just turned 8 and to add to the really fast voices her hands go numb. Her heart beat does not escalate at all when this happens as my mom is a nurse she’s thought of a few things it could be and tried to find out as much as she could. Her father has a bipolar disorder. Could this be early signs of bipolar or a similar disease? Please help.

Fast Talking Voices in Head

A.

It’s too soon to speculate about a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. There’s simply not enough information to make a determination about what might be wrong. Just because her father has bipolar disorder does not mean that she has it or will ever have it. Without more information, it can’t be ruled out, but it’s very rare for young children to develop serious mental illnesses.

The voices are obviously concerning. The numbing of her hands is an unusual symptom, not typically associated with mental illness.

It’s imperative that she is evaluated by a physician. The numbing of her hands could indicate a physical illness. Do what you can to ensure that these symptoms are thoroughly investigated as soon as possible. Please take care.

Fast Talking Voices in Head