Home » Depression » Confused Suicidal Thoughts

Confused Suicidal Thoughts

I’m 18 years old and I been feeling suicidal on and off for about 2 years now. I started to self harm about a few months in to having these thoughts. The thing that confuses me is that I’m  not sure if I should see someone about these thoughts. Sometimes it gets really strong. The way I calm my self down is that I tell my self that its okay, I will 100% kill myself, but I won’t do it now. I have a few different plans. I fear that If  i do go see someone they will tell me that nothing is wrong with me and that I’m an “attention seeker” or that these feeling are just made up. Since these thoughts are not always there. I do feel really motivated to stop selfharming and to get better, I feel so hopeful but it doesn’t last very long, it goes on for about half a day. If I’m lucky it will last a day or too. Sometimes I feel an over whelming sadness, I try not to selfharm but its hard. Also some people cause me soo much anxiety I would have to selfharm. I get dizzy, weak, I start to shake and sweat a bit.It feels unreal, or I feel like Im in slow motion. Its so odd. I don’t know whats wrong with me. Is this something that I should be worried about?? should I seek help or is this all normal? (age 18, from US)

Confused Suicidal Thoughts

A.

Yes, I think you should be concerned that you are harming yourself and feeling suicidal, and yes, I do believe that you should seek professional help. I don’t think you should be concerned about a therapist not believing you and accusing you of just seeking attention. If you are open and honest with the therapist about how long this has been a problem, as well as how and when you feel this way, the therapist will be able to help you find alternative ways of coping. You can also explore what might be triggering these feelings and if there is a more serious problem, such as depression or anxiety.

You don’t have to do this alone and you don’t have to go on feeling this way. Please make an appointment to see someone soon.

Confused Suicidal Thoughts