Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Scared to Tell My Mom I Need to Be Hospitalized

I’m Scared to Tell My Mom I Need to Be Hospitalized

From the U.S.: Hi… I’m 16 and scared to tell my mom I want to cut and that I think I need to be hospitalized again. I’ve already been hospitalized 8 times but I’m starting to go nuts and I have a lot of urges I can’t control. I really need help but don’t know how to ask because I’m scared she’ll get mad at me. Please help.

A.

The worst thing that can happen if your mother gets mad is that the two of you will have some hard feelings to get through. The worst thing that can happen if you need hospitalization and don’t get it is that you might do and say things that have serious and long-term consequences. I vote for the mad option.

I’m so sorry that you have already had to struggle so much. I hope you have a therapist you can turn to. Hospitalizations are intended to provide safety and stabilization. Hospital treatment alone generally does not help people make fundamental changes in their mental health. For that, you need to develop a trusting relationship with a therapist so you can learn new ways to cope with life’s challenges and to generally feel better. A referral to a therapist is usually part of discharge planning after hospitalization. If you didn’t follow through, or if the therapist you saw wasn’t a good fit, do try again. You live in a city that has plenty of therapists to choose from.

If you have trouble finding the words to tell your mom that you are again in trouble, simply show her your letter and this response.