Home » Ask the Therapist » Sense of Inadequacy

Sense of Inadequacy

Hi, through prayer meditation and self reflection in addition to facing serious spells of depression and anxiety head on and trying to resolve issues I have been able to find good working solutions to problems and build motivation.

I am slowly getting better at discovering logical fallacies and maladaptive thoughts, the issue is committing those realisations to memory and applying them. I try to make notes and write them down, put them in my phone, make sticky notes and things, however, these slowly fade into the background and the knowledge of being the type of person who needs to have an obsessive amount of reminders everywhere seems discouraging.

How can I remember all of the “good” logic, positivity, and ways of looking at things?

Sense of Inadequacy

A.

It may not be as much about remembering these skills as it is practicing them on a regular basis. It’s something that you essentially have to train yourself to do. It can be especially difficult for people who are prone to cynicism and negativity but the more you practice, the easier it will become. With continued practice, it will eventually become second nature.

You might be interested in reading about Abraham Maslow and self-actualizing people. He described, in great depth, the thinking processes of psychologically healthy people. You might learn a lot from reading about how healthy people think. You can be correct or incorrect in your thinking. Correcting your thinking can help you to be right and thus happier in life.

Abraham Maslow noted that self-actualizing people have the ability to perceive reality correctly. When one perceives reality correctly, they are less likely to make mistakes. Mistakes stem from faulty thinking processes which can lead to more suffering in one’s life. Learning how to think correctly, seeing reality clearly, will minimize incorrect conclusions and the consequenting penalties for being wrong.

Thus far, you’ve achieved success in teaching yourself how to overcome illogical and maladaptive thinking. You are on the right track. You might benefit from cognitive therapy, which might expedite your learning process. The essence of cognitive therapy, is correcting maladaptive and illogical thoughts. There are also many books about critical thinking. You might find those beneficial. Please take care.

Sense of Inadequacy