Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Losing All My Values, Character Features, Interests in High School

Losing All My Values, Character Features, Interests in High School

Hi, I’m new and I’m not sure whether my question belongs here but I don’t have anyone else to ask. My problem is that I’m worried that I don’t have any values or interests anymore. I used to follow a moral code, I was christian and rather conservative but liberal on some issues. I loved to read and create my own opinion on many topics. During high School, which was the worst time in my life, I have changed completely. Besides becoming first an atheist, than a satanist, I have also lost all of my interest in studying or making friends. We’ve had a teacher who spend a lot of time telling us that there is no good or bad, that everything in life is relative. I believed in everything she said, reading all the books she recommended but now as years have past, I really can’t live with myself anymore. Nothing matters to me, genocides, war, politics in general seem to be unimportant. I know it;s weird but I don’t feel like a human being anymore, I used to care for others, I wanted to change the world, help those in need but ever since I went to high school I feel like I’m just a body without a soul. I regret having my moral walls crushed by this teacher, and I regret the satanist phase and I would love to get back to my old self but I’m trying for years now and nothing really changes. If someone could explain what may have caused this change in my character and give me tips on how to find my old self back, I would really appreciate it.
And sorry for my bad English, it’s a foreign language to me.

A.

Your English is just fine, and I appreciate you asking your question. It’s hard to know why you’ve lost interest, but of all the things you’ve spoken of the “satanic phase” is probably the best place to start. Since you are in college you have access to the college counseling center. I would make an appointment there and talk to a counselor about this transformation in your feelings.

A teacher that invited you to look at life through a different lens doesn’t seem to be a strong enough cause for your reaction. Many other people took that class with the same teacher — and not all of them followed your path. The question becomes what is it that that made you ponder it the way you did? The counseling will provide you with an opportunity for some self reflection and understanding. This can be enormously helpful and you sorting through your next steps.