Home » Asocial Stepsons

Asocial Stepsons

I believe both of my two older stepsons (age 26 and 24) are asocial. I believe their father is asocial as well. How can I discuss this with my wife so that they can be evaluated and hopefully treated?

Both are unable to secure employment even though they have college degrees. They graduated in May of 2014 and December of 2014. Both live at home. Both have no friends and are socially challenged, just like their Father who also has no friends.

Thank You.

Asocial Stepsons

A.

I can imagine the frustration and difficulty that is caused by this. The best approach is to begin with a discussion with your wife of how their behavior impacts on you. Discuss the emotional, financial, social, and familial as it pertains to you. In this way, by using “I” statements about yourself, rather than talking about their problems, keeps the information focused on what you know to be true because it is your experience — and you are the world’s expert on your feelings. This will keep the conversation centered on what you know to be true for you. This will have a better outcome than talking only about their shortcomings.

Asocial Stepsons