Home » I Get Easily Irritated and Cry for No Reason

I Get Easily Irritated and Cry for No Reason

From the Philippines: I’m 18. I don’t know if I have a problem or not. I just wanna make sure. I get easily irritated with my family and with my boyfriend. I always cry for no reason. My heart is always palpitating and I have short breathing. I have no problems when it comes to sleeping but I always have nightmares and I always wake up in the middle of the night. I get easily hurt, not physically but emotionally.

I wasn’t like that before. I some[times] hyperventilate. There was a time I was hyperventilating and my heart was palpitating at the same time, I was dizzy and my hands and feet were numb and my sight was turning black. I was about to faint. I always think of my mistakes like I’m a failure. Can you please help me? Thank you.

A.

Please see your medical doctor. Before you decide that you have a mental health problem, it’s important to rule out a physical cause for the heart palpitations, numbness, hyperventilating and emotional over-sensitivity, especially since you didn’t have those symptoms before. At your age (18), there are a number of possible physical causes for this kind of distress.

It’s sad that you always feel like you are a failure. This is a problem whether or not there is also a medical issue that needs to be treated. You probably don’t make any more mistakes than anyone else your age, but I don’t have enough information to check on the reality of your concerns. For that reason, I suggest that you see a counselor or therapist for a session or two for at least an initial evaluation. But, please, first do see your physician.