Home » The Start of an Episode?

The Start of an Episode?

I suspect I am in the starting states of an psychotic episode, and I have no idea what to actually do.

The Start of an Episode?

A.

The early stages of psychosis are referred to as prodromal symptoms. The prodromal period refers to the time between an individual’s change in functioning up until the onset of full-blown psychosis. In the absence of treatment, the prodromal phase can lead to an acute psychotic episode.

You did not mention what symptoms led you to believe that you might be having a psychotic episode. Prodromal symptoms can include changes in perception, beliefs, cognition, mood, affect, and behavior.

Sometimes, it can be difficult to notice these changes in yourself. But if you notice symptoms of concern, you should consult a mental health professional. He or she will evaluate your symptoms and determine if you are prepsychotic. If so, he or she might refer to you a psychiatrist, who can prescribe a low-dose antipsychotic medication that might prevent the development of a psychotic episode.

Another possible option is to check with local universities to determine if they have a prepsychotic, a first-episode or an early diagnosis and treatment clinic. These types of clinics recognize the importance of early identification of psychosis in the prevention of acute psychotic episodes.

Whenever possible, it’s always best to prevent acute psychosis. Some research suggests that psychotic episodes can cause brain damage. Antipsychotic medication is one of the best treatments for preventing psychotic episodes. I hope you’re able to receive the help that you desire. Please take care.

The Start of an Episode?