Home » Ask the Therapist » Slipping? Maybe?

Slipping? Maybe?

When I was eight years old I wanted to see what the inside of an animal looked like, so I cut open a frog alive to see it’s heart beating, it was utterly amazing and fascinating. This became somewhat of a hobby until I mentioned it to a classmate my age and he was deeply disturbed about it, at which point I decided to stop it. I’ve tried to find other things to keep my mind busy since and video games help a lot, but now I’ve become bored with them and I’ve started again. I’ve been thinking of other things to try out, and my question is what can I do to distract or prevent this?

Slipping? Maybe?

A.

There is too little information here to know exactly what is going on, but the fact that you are struggling with it means you want to get more information.

As an adult the fact this is still challenging you suggests an evaluation by a professional would be helpful. This is likely to help you get to the reason you need to be distracted from it in the first place. I would recommend asking for an initial evaluation from either a psychologist or psychiatrist and let them offer you some opinions about what is going on.

Slipping? Maybe?