Home » Lack of Emotions/Guilt

Lack of Emotions/Guilt

I grew up in years of therapy, never was diagnosed with anything. I don’t feel any guilt, remorse or compassion, it’s like I’m not human. I will use people to my advantage and then dispose of them when that ‘friendship’ is no longer necessary. I have two friends who I can truly call my friends. I’m not much of a family person and spend the majority of time on my own. I sometimes wish to commit a crime to excite me. I also have a prison pen pal who is in prison for Murder in the US. I know it’s crazy but that also excites me. I can’t hold a relationship. I want to be able to show my friends some compassion when they loose someone they love or when they’re upset but to me it’s such an odd emotion, sometimes I observe people to see how they show compassion or remorse and I try to duplicate their reaction but it’s hard. I grew up with a not so nice dad, I haven’t seen him in six years although my sister still has contact. He’s mainly disappointed that I’m gay.
One of my counselors thought it could’ve been Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
What do you think? (From England)

Lack of Emotions/Guilt

A.

There is too little information for me to comment on the accuracy of this — but if a therapist thinks this is a possibility then it is worth it to explore.

Regardless of the diagnosis you might want to talk with your therapist (if you have one now) or a therapist you can see for a consult about joining an interactive therapy group. Constantly challenging these reactions in the presence of others may be a way for you to learn more about yourself.

Lack of Emotions/Guilt