Home » Should I Start a Psych Med Now or Wait?

Should I Start a Psych Med Now or Wait?

From the U.S.: I have depression. For a variety of reasons (partially financial), I have been off my meds (Prozac) for a few months. I just graduated from law school and am taking the bar at the end of this month. But I’m really struggling with motivation to study, and I realized that I’m in a bad place with my depression right now. I finally am able to get the meds again. But I’m also worried about starting again after being off them for a while is going to adversely affect me more than it is worth. When I was on it before, the only side effect I really had was increased tiredness. But I’m not sure whether starting now is going to improve my studying/test taking or actually make them worse. So I guess my question is whether it makes more sense to start again taking now or to wait until after I take the bar and then start again?

Should I Start a Psych Med Now or Wait?

A.

The therapists at Ask the Therapist are psychologists, not medical doctors or psychiatrists. The best thing for you to do is to make an appointment with your prescriber and have an open discussion about your concerns.

Should I Start a Psych Med Now or Wait?